Tuesday 16 February 2010

Balancing life

I don't know how I ever coped with being a single parent to 2 daughters, holding down a (more than) full time job and still having a life but I did.  Now my daughters have grown up and flown the nest, I have married again, I work mostly from home and I never seem to have enough time to do everything.  Admittedly my mum used to help out when the girls were small.  Maybe that's what makes the difference.

My husband and I have been a bit lazy recently and were starting to feel unfit and overweight so we decided to join the gym.  The routine we've settled into is that we go to the gym Mondays to Fridays, we both leave home around the same time but he goes with a couple of friends while I take the car and go on my own.  I finish earlier than them and head home.  Being men, they have to do the group therapy thing and cluster around one machine while they all take turns before moving on to the next one.  When they have finally done pumping all that iron they head off to the sauna for a while before going home.  By the time my husband arrives home I have dinner ready.  The only problem with all of this is that it's almost bed time by the time we sit down to eat and I feel cheated somehow that I haven't had time to relax between dinner and bed time.

I love cooking but I'm finding it a real challenge finding something different to cook each night with the ingredients I have available at home that doesn't take forever to prepare. Due to a slight surplus of chicken in the freezer we're having chicken fajitas at least once a week because they are quick to prepare and cook.  I've also been taking a leaf or 3 out of Ching-He Huang's book, literally, and making quick stirfries.  Ken Hom's Lemon Chicken is also rather good.  The only problem with all of this is I seem to be getting through more chillies than anyone has a right to.  I'm sure they're supposed to be good for you in some way.  Right?  Any hints and tips for working full time, getting fit and still being able to eat at regular times will be gratefully accepted.  I think I may rebel and only go to the gym 2 or 3 nights a week but go on the weekend as well.  What do you reckon?

No comments:

Post a Comment