Sunday 28 March 2010

Spring and messing with time

Last night the clocks went forward.  I hate when the clocks go back or forward.  It upsets my body.  I particularly hate when the clocks go forward as I lose an hour, sometimes it's an hour's sleep, sometimes it's an hour of doing something I enjoy.  Either way, it's an hour out of my day and I get no choice about it.

On the plus side, putting the clocks forward means that spring is here.  The weather is still undecided how to behave but at least the sun is showing face in between the wind and the rain.  We've been threatened with snow this week as well.  Yesterday I decided to get into the spring swing of things and wore a strappy white cotton summer dress with sandals and a short sleeved cardigan.  It seemed like a reasonable option to me - the sun was out. You should have seen the odd looks I got from people when I walked down to the shops to buy something for lunch.  Just because none of them had chosen to embrace spring they looked at me like a mad person!  Even The Boy commented on how good I looked but then he's used to seeing me in jeans or combats and a t-shirt.

The Boy and I went to do our weekly 'perishables' shop at the supermarket and we bumped into someone I used to go to school with.  She asked  if we'd just been on holiday. I told her that we had just booked a holiday and I was trying to condition my skin in preparation by making the occasional trip to a sun bed so that I don't fry when I get there.  Her eyes lit up as realisation dawned and she said I looked so healthy that she assumed we were just back from a holiday but it was probably because my skin is usually so white and I currently have some unaccustomed colour.  I hadn't realised I was normally quite so noticeably WHITE but then I don't normally see myself unless I look in the mirror.  :o)

I'm quite proud of my white skin usually but it's a curse when the sun is out, or even when its not.  The slightest hint of sunshine turns my skin scarlet and painful with a guarantee of peeling later.   I have spent a fortune over the years buying the highest factor of sun cream available and still burning.  Holidays usually left me feeling like an oil slick on legs.  The higher factor sun creams are always thick and greasy and after washing it off in the evening the after sun creams don't feel much better.  Thankfully a few years ago The Boy and I were in a shop in Lanzarote when I spotted Riemanns P20 sun screen. I was very cautious about trying it because if you get it wrong, sun burn hurts like mad.  What a pleassant surprise.  It did what it said on the tin!  It dries in to my skin so I don't feel like a mobile oil slick. YAY!  I can swim and it stays on.  It lasts all day.  Perfect.  The only downside is that I have to get up an hour before The Boy so that I can shower, put the Riemanns on and wander about naked until it dries.  So for all you delicate blossoms out there who have fair skin, like me, if you haven't discovered it yet, Reimanns P20 may be your saviour.  Give it a try. (and no they're not paying me to say that.)

Right - as the sun is out I'm taking full advantage and will be going out cycling.  I'm off to get ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment